Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lentil and Bulgur Soup

I recently realized that I was a major contributing factor to the rising heat inside our suite. I thought the look on Mike's face when he came home to find me baking bread and making soup would be one of admiration.....but instead I received a look of puzzlement followed by "Hi hun...uh, why are you making soup when it's 30° outside?" Honestly I don't think I ever stopped to think that maybe I should be testing Martha Stewart's summer recipes instead of the fall ones! Either way, I'm going to go ahead and post this recipe from the March 2010 issue of Martha Stewart Living with a commitment to finding more recipes that require less heat and more chill!
  • 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
  • 1 shallot, thinly sliced
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 cup green lentils, rinsed and picked over
  • 1/2 cup bulgur
  • 2-3 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • fresh ground pepper and sea salt
  1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook carrot, celery and shallot until tender, about 6 minutes. Add water and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
  2. Stir in bulgur and cook partially covered until bulgur is tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. Stir in vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Serve soup with Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment