This coming from someone who often starts her posts off with a complaint about the weather! I have decided to embrace the changing season by taking some of my favorite summer vegetables and pairing them with puff pastry which is not ideal to bake in hot weather therefore making it perfect for a rainy day such as today!
I have to admit that I sort of cheated on this recipe by not making my own puff pastry. If it weren't a weekday and if I wasn't feeling under the weather I would have attempted it myself. You can manipulate this recipe to incorporate your preferred combination of vegetables and cheese. I think I am going to try a caramelized onion tart next time!
- I pkg puff pastry
- 4 vine ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- fresh ground salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll out puff pastry into a rectangle 10 by 12 inches wide and 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread the Asiago cheese over the surface of the dough. Top with zucchini and tomato slices to within 1 inch of dough edge and finish off with feta, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pastry turns golden brown. Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.