Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Baked Zucchini Sticks

One of my favorite foods growing up was deep fried zucchini. I now understand that although deep fried tastes wonderful it isn't always good for me. Lucky for us there are alternative ways to cook our favorite deep fried foods. This particular recipe requires you to bread and baking the zucchini at a high temperature. The result is very satisfying and if done properly very similar to deep fried zucchini. I served my zucchini sticks with ranch dressing but I also recommend marinara sauce.


Note: I made the mistake of using fresh breadcrumbs that were coarsely ground. When I make these again I will without a doubt use fine bread crumbs.
  • 2 medium zucchini sliced into 3" x 1/2" sticks
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup whole wheat seasoned bread crumbs (fine)
  • 2 tbsp grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
  • 1 garlic glove, finely minced or crushed
  • fresh ground salt and pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. In a small bowl, beat egg and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place breadcrumbs, garlic and cheese and shake well. Line with parchment paper or spray with cooking oil.
  3. Dip zucchini sticks into eggs then into bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer. Bake at 425° for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. They look good. Might work with blue cheese dip as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That sounds great. I will give that a go sometime.

    ReplyDelete