Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper and Acorn Squash Soup with Orzo

I always look forward to trying out new soup recipes, mostly because it allows me to eliminate soups that I once thought were fabulous only to discover they were really quite blah. I figure if I commit to trying a different soup recipe every week for the next year or two I will possibly be able to say that I know from experience that this is the best way to make squash soup!



With that said there are infinite possibilities when it comes to making squash soup. It all depends on what flavor you are looking for or prefer. This particular recipe has a nice smokey flavor which is complemented by the roasted red peppers. I have been told that veggie based soups are always more flavorful with roasted vegetables especially those that will be pureed.

I made a few changes to this recipe by using acorn squash instead of butternut and roasting all of the vegetables including the squash in one large roasting pan at 400° for 40 minutes. I also added half a cup cooked orzo for substance.

In the end I decided I enjoyed this recipe but I will not be adding it to my favorite list, mostly because I am not a big fan of paprika.

2 comments:

  1. I made this soup tonight with a few variations.

    http://twospoons.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/singledom-soup-for-garlic-lovers/

    I roasted the potatoes, onion and garlic in the oven instead of frying.


    Turned out pretty good. Took a while for the potatoes to roast but it was easy to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this recipe for sure! Sooner then later as my potatoes appear to be growing...eek! Thanks chels!

    ReplyDelete