Sunday, January 17, 2010

Kohlrabi Fries

Kohlrabi is my new favorite vegetable! I have to admit that I was very intimidated by this turnip like vegetable when first spotted at the market and was even further put off when I was unable to find a recipe that inspired me to cook these guys up. In turn, they ended up sitting in my fridge for about two weeks. Alas, I confronted this vegetable head on and decided to just simply work with it. I peeled and cut off a piece and was pleasantly surprised at the crisp full flavor that kohlrabi has to offer (think broccoli stem only sweeter) and was immediately inspired to bake them into fries. There is but one thing you need to know if you are going to attempt this recipe and that is, unlike potatoes kohlrabi will keep a crisp texture no matter how long you roast them.


  • 1 tbsp olive oil 
  • 2 large kohlrabi
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • seat salt and fresh ground pepper
  1. Heat oven to 475°.
  2. Use a pairing knife to peel of outer skin of kohlrabi and cut into sticks about 1/4 inch thick.
  3. Toss with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and pour into a roasting pan.
  4. Roast in oven for 25-30 minutes.
Note: These fries have such a sweet flavor, they don't require the assistance of ketchup or dip of any kind.

5 comments:

  1. Small, fresh kohlrabi in the spring is really good sliced fine and included on sandwiches or in raw veggie platters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I would have never thought to use kohlrabi in a sandwich. I am definitely looking forward to trying kohlrabi as a raw veggie. I'm getting sick of traditional veggie platters! I have been eating a lot of raw jicama lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these! I didn't know what to do with my week-old kohlrabi and this was great! Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I boiled them first, to soften, then baked them. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea! I think I will try that next time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete