Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mikey's Fajitas

I understand that to some cooking and baking is a chore, and although necessary it can be very cumbersome to prepare meals when you have little time to do so. I know that one day I may be faced with the same challenges as a working mother.

However, I think it is possible to change your perspective of cooking and transform it from a chore to an interactive family experience. I think it’s a great opportunity to engage in active family time opposed to inactive family time. I don’t know when family time became TV time but I think my generation and even the generation one step ahead of me has a responsibility to change this. We live in a time where we don’t have to work together to keep a homestead like the pioneers did. But I think we are missing out on a very important communal component living by today’s conveniences (ordering in or picking up food to go). Although necessary at times I think that if you all work together there is no reason why you can’t commit to making dinner as a family a few times a week.

Of course the opposing argument is that it is often faster and easier for the most experienced cook to make a meal without extra hands on deck. Although I agree I am up for the challenge of working and teaching others so that I am not the only one that can whip up dinner every day. We don’t live in the 60’s anymore people and we are not house wives! Why can’t your children help rinse and spin dry lettuce while you chop up the veggies? And why can’t your spouse make the dressing?

This recipe was created by Mike and approved by Lyndsay!

  • 1 bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 2 cups white or cremini mushrooms, cut into quarters or 1/8ths if large
  • 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
  • kernels from one cob of corn
  • 1 carrot – julienned
  • 2 cups fresh spinach (washed and spun dry)
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta
  • 4-6 tortilla shells
Sauce
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1.5 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin powder
  • 1.25 tbsp oregano
  • 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1/2 lime juice
  • 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
  • 2 oz water or more for liquid consistency
  1. Stir together all ingredients for the sauce.
  2. Combine all vegetables in a bowl and stir in the sauce.
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add veggies to the pan and sauté until onions turn translucent.
  4. Warm tortillas in oven on LO broil for about 2 minutes each side. Careful not to crisp them.
  5. Assemble fajitas starting with spinach followed by sautéed vegetables and finishing with feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment