Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winter Chestnut Stew

This one is for you Frank!

I finally got around to making this recipe. I have been eying it up for quite some time. I have never found vegetable stews to be very gratifying but this one intrigued me because I figured the chestnuts would be the missing ingredient. Turns out I was right! I am happy to report that my first experience with chestnuts has been a positive one. They have a really nice texture and a slightly sweet, nutty flavor that perfectly complements root vegetables.

Next time I make this stew however I intend to pump up the vegetables and flavor by adding some parsnips, turnips, carrots, celery and perhaps a splash of Worcestershire or at the very least soy sauce to pump up the umami flavor. The addition of the roasted garlic is a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment