I titled this post "Meat and Potatoes" because that's exactly what this dish poses as. The patties are actually chickpea patties from my favorite cookbook "Veganomicon" drizzled with an outstanding mushroom gravy which I have provided below and completed with a side of parmesan garlic roasted potatoes. I recommend baking not frying the patties as I have tried both methods and find the baked version to be far better then the fried.
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- pinch of freshly ground salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp cooking sherry
- Mix the flour into the broth until dissolved and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp grapeseed oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté shallot in frying pan, until translucent. Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender.
- Add the garlic, thyme, sage, salt and pepper and sauté for another minute.
- Deglaze the pan with sherry and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in broth and turn down heat to medium and cook until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.