Thursday, March 11, 2010

Eggplant Pasta Bake

So I like to cook with eggplant! I like the color, shape, look and taste of eggplant. I literally have trouble stopping myself from buying eggplant every time I am at the market. It takes great will power to walk past the overflowing bins of eggplant at my local market....not to mention the 2 for $3.00 sign that taunts me with no shame! So I confess, I am addicted to buying eggplant...but I know there are far worse things I could be addicted to!

I concocted this recipe in an attempt to convince Mike that eggplant gratin has the potential of being more sustainable with added pasta. Also, every time I ask him what he feels like for dinner he requests either pizza or pasta!


  • 2 cups brown rice or whole wheat pasta, cooked
  • 1 24 oz. bottle of Marinara Sauce (or make from scratch like I did)
  • 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
  • 3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
  • 3/4 cup Mozarella, grated
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
  • salt and pepper, freshly ground
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  1. Season eggplant rounds with salt and pepper and allow them to sit in a colander for about 15 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 400°.
  3. Arrange eggplant rounds on two baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes on each side.
  4. Grease a large baking dish and pour 1/3 of marinara sauce into dish. Layer 1/3 pasta on top of sauce followed by 1/3 eggplant rounds, chopped basil and finish with 1/3 of both Parmesan and Mozzarella. Repeat layers twice more sprinkling bread crumbs on last layer and finishing with the cheeses.
  5. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment