Sunday, March 7, 2010

Coconut Lime Cupcakes

You guessed it...another birthday at the office! This time around I decided to make cupcakes instead of cake. I was very pleased with this recipe, making changes only to the icing as I was horrified by the amount of sugar it called for...4 cups!! I have no issues giving up picture perfect icing if it means reducing the amount of sugar and finding a way around sticky, slightly runny icing (this can be avoided by storing them in the refrigerator and serving them chilled). With that said I have summarized the changes I made to the icing below.

I was unable to find coconut cream so I used heavy cream with 1 tsp coconut extract.

Reduced Sugar Coconut Cream Icing
  • 1/4 cup soft unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups icing sugar
  • 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tsp coconut extract
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Cream together all ingredients adding more sugar and cream as necessary.
PS - my apologies for the delayed post, I was out of town caring for my Mom who just had knee surgery. Might I also add that no blog worthy cooking took place during this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment