Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Taco Salad

I haven't bothered trying to make taco salad since I became a vegetarian. I just figured there was no way to substitute the ground beef without altering the satisfactory taste and texture. By luck I recently found this great recipe from Chez Cayenne that cooks up a really great substitute for beef outlined below. You can also use this mixture in burritos and tacos which I have also cooked up with mouth watering success!

  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1/4 cup buckwheat
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 batch of taco seasoning (recipe also found on Chez Cayenne)
  • 1 cup black beans
  • 1/2 cup water
Salad Ingredients
  • shredded lettuce
  • tomato, diced
  • avocado, diced (optional)
  • green onions, diced
  • tortilla chips, crushed
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • sour cream
  1. In a medium saucepan combine quinoa, buckwheat and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover with lid and cook for 15 minutes.
  2. Once water is absorbed, uncover and stir in black beans, taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
  3. Prepare salads by layering lettuce, diced vegetables, quinoa mixture, crushed tortilla chips and finish with cheese and sour cream.
Note:  You can alter this salad by using different veggies such as corn, peppers, olives, shredded carrot or jicama or by using different beans or types of lettuce. This salad would also be great with salsa or guacamole.

5 comments:

  1. Ok, I found this blog from a Martha Stewart recipe [referenced if for a pizza I'm making tonight ;] and can I say, I am in love! I have been a vegetarian for 7 years and I am always disappointed in veg blogs bc its tofu, tofu, tofu, and some fake meat, and tofu...blugh. Way to actually COOK! Def adding you to my blog roll ;]

    Feel free to check mine out!
    Mae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mae. I have posted a comment on your blog too! I always look forward to coming across people who share the same view on processed foods and commercial products.

    Lyndsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog, and am so happy to see this recipe. One thing we use to make on a regular basis was tacos before we cut meat out of our diet. This sounds so good, and I am going to try it on our menu next week. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, If you come up with any other great ideas for the taco quinoa mix let me know!

    Lyndsay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looove this recipe. I've made it twice now, as tacos not salad. You're the best Lynds.

    ReplyDelete