Monday, April 19, 2010

Sloppy Moes

Who needs ground beef when red lentils yield the same consistency and meaty flavor? It's an added bonus that lentils are packed with so many good nutrients. Another added benefit to cooking with lentils opposed to ground beef is the low cost.

I give this recipe two thumbs way up. I believe I may have even hooked a few people in my lunch room when heating up my lunch the following day. I let them guess for awhile before I finally revealed that I was heating up vegetarian sloppy joes or as I am calling them sloppy moes! Eating healthy does not mean forfeiting your favorite childhood dinners. Before you leave this page, please put this recipe on next weeks dinner menu. You can thank me later!

 
  • 1 cup red lentils
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 sticks celery, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 carrots, shredded
  • 3 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1(8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup assorted cooked beans
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
  • 6 slices crusty bread or kaiser rolls sliced in half
  1. Bring 3 cups water to boil. Add lentils and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. While lentils are cooking heat up 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute onions and celery until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and carrots and saute for another minute.
  3. Stir in cooked lentils, chili powder, oregano and some fresh ground sea salt. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste and beans. Cook for about 10 minutes.
  4. Stir in maple syrup and mustard and season with fresh ground pepper.
  5. Serve over toasted bread.

    1 comment:

    1. I am usually not really a sloppy joes fan, but this looked so amazing, we tried it tonight. It was soo good!! We are eating less meat to be healthier and to save $$ and this was definitly a great meatless meal!!! Thanks for another good one Lyndsay!

      ReplyDelete