Thursday, April 22, 2010

Borscht

Borscht was the first thing that came to mind when I opened my fridge and realized I had nothing but cabbage, beets and a few potatoes. I should also mention the intimidating wind storm that was taking place outside the comfort of my home. To say the least, I was was not in an way motivated to go grocery shopping.

I used to find the idea of beets and cabbage in a soup absolutely horrific. Of course this was before I actually appreciated food and before I even tried it out. I think what makes this soup such a treat is the perfect combination of sweetness from the beets and tartness from the lemons and balsamic vinegar, resulting in a very unique but smooth flavor. This soup is also great for those of you on a budget!
  • 2 cups cabbage, shredded (I used green cabbage)
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 large or 2 small potatoes, chopped
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 398ml can Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 large beets, diced
  • 6-8 cups vegetable stock
  • 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp dried dill (use 2 tbsp fresh dill if you have it)
  • 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
  • freshly ground sea salt and pepper
  1. Heat butter in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add cabbage, celery, carrots, garlic, onion and potatoes. Stir in 1 tsp fresh ground sea salt and bay leaves. Cook until onion is soft and translucent. 
  2. Add tomatoes, beets, 6 cups vegetable stock (or more if you prefer) and bring to a boil. Cover with lid and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for about 25 minutes.
  3. Before serving, stir in lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, dill, freshly cracked pepper and sea salt. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Note:  You can make this recipe vegan by using olive oil instead of butter and serving without the sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment