Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cauliflower, Pea and Red Lentil Dahl

Oh Summer where art thou? Must you leave so soon? You leave us with a dreary cloud so full of relentless rain that one can hardly imagine what it was like to have such warmth and cheer that only you can tame.

When the weather changes so does the selection of local produce. I can't say I am one to complain as I find myself looking forward to trying out some of the recipes I have been saving for the change in season. The big bins of colorful squash remind me of the beautiful colors of Autumn leaves. Did I ever tell you that Autumn is my favorite season? I have already expressed how I find peace with rain so you can imagine how I feel about the cozy feeling associated with all things Autumn! There is something about this season that makes you want to wrap yourself up in a scarf and wool jacket and jump into a pile of leaves like we all did growing up! I fondly remember running through groves of Autumn colored trees with my little brother trailing behind; our heads held high as the leaves sailed around us.

Weather aside, what's for dinner? Well since the book I am currently reading is set partially in India (no it's not Eat, Pray, Love...I read that a few weeks ago) and refers to authentic vegetarian curries and dahls I was inspired to cook up a dahl myself. I have included a recipe for the curry powder I whipped up for this dish in an attempt to make this more authentic.

Note: Use the back of a spoon to peel ginger. I learned this nifty trick at a cooking class at the French Mint. Also, be sure to have all your ingredients ready to go before you start cooking!

Curry Powder
  • 1 tbsp corriander seeds
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
  • 1/4 tsp whole cloves
  • 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 1/2 tsp cardamon seeds
  • 1 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
  • 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
  • 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
  1. Toast whole spices in a pan over medium heat for a few minutes or until spices become fragrant. 
  2. Pulse toasted seeds in a clean coffee grinder until you have achieved a fine powder.
  3. Pour into a small dish and stir in turmeric.
 Dahl
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 1 serrano pepper, finely minced
  • 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large potato, diced
  • curry powder (use the entire yield from the recipe above)
  • 1 1/2 cups red lentils
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 3 kaffir leaves 
  • 1 small cauliflower or half of a medium head, sliced into small florets (about 2 cups)
  • 1 cup peas
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  1. Heat 3 tbsp of peanut oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion and shallots until tender and translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add grated ginger and serrano pepper, and saute for another minute. Add curry powder and garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly.
  2. Stir in potatoes, broth, lentils and kaffir leaves. Cover pot and raise heat to high, boil for 1 minute. Stir, and lower heat to a simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes.
  3. Add cauliflower, stirring to coat with lentils. Add more water as needed. Cover and cook for another 15 minutes. Stir in peas and cook for 5 more minutes until cauliflower becomes tender (but not mushy).
  4. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, lime juice and salt to taste.
  5. Serve over brown basmati rice or with a side of naan.

No comments:

Post a Comment