Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Inside Out Potato & Cabbage Rolls

So the only reason why I am calling this an inside out cabbage roll is because I have posted a similar recipe in the past that uses these exact ingredients except you are stuffing cabbage leaves with potato and serving with tomato sauce. I reversed these steps for a quick meal that didn’t require any bake time.

On a side note I want to mention that although I don’t have cable I have recently been watching the Masterchef series on YouTube . I will summarize in case any of you have never heard of Masterchef before. Basically 50 amateur home cooks with no chef training are picked from thousands of applicants to be part of a competition with one winner who will take home $250,000 along with a cookbook deal. Each episode they eliminate a few people until they are down to the final two and then of course the winner. I like to see the inspiring dishes that these people produce in a very short period of time and with only a few minutes to design recipes based on select ingredients. But I think the drama behind any Gordon Ramsay TV show is completely unnecessary. Which is one of the reasons why I don’t subscribe to cable!

Anyways, the basic idea behind this recipe is to whip up some mashed potatoes (literally!), braise some cabbage and make a quick tomato sauce. Serve them up on a plate and you will basically have what is displayed below. I would like to point out that it tastes better than it looks! Oh, and don't forget to add some Parmesan to the potatoes.

Here is a good tip that I learned in one of my cooking classes at the French Mint….you can keep mashed potatoes warm in a bowl covered with plastic wrap over a slow simmering pot of water. Also, to achieve the perfect mashed potatoes use a ricer. You’re mashed potatoes will often end up with a gummy texture when using a hand held or KitchenAid blender.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsay, When my family makes cabbage rolls and we have left over rice, cabbage etc, we layer it in a cassarole dish. We call it lazy cabbage rolls. I have to let you know that I love your photography shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have passed along your praise to my photographer Mike. Who is also as most of you know from reading my blog, my biggest food critic!

    I like the sound of your lazy cabbage rolls. I am going to try my cabbage rolls with rice next time around! L

    ReplyDelete