Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Apple, Pear and Walnut Salad

I'm not much for pears but I did enjoy this recipe.  I served this salad as a side to go along with some veggie wraps but I think it would also make a good appetizer or nutritious dessert.  For this recipe I used local pears and apples but I would suggest using different color pears and apples for more appeal.


  • 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1/2 orange, zested
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 2 apples, preferably use 2 different kinds
  • 1 pear
  • 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
  • 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  1. In a large bowl whisk together vinegar, orange juice, zest, and raisins.
  2. Core and cube apples and pear.
  3. Add fruit and walnuts to a bowl and drizzle with oil. Toss well to combine. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
Tip: You can use dried cranberries in place of the raisins or add chunks of cheese such as Feta, Gouda or Aged Cheddar.

No comments:

Post a Comment